RAF Harlaxton was re-activated in World War II operating as a Relief Landing Station from 1942 to 1945 and remains some of the buildings can still see in the woods behind the Manor. Meanwhile the Manor, like so many country houses across England, became home to a new generation of soldiers. By 1944, Harlaxton, together with all the other country houses around Grantham was home to the 1st Airborne Division.
In September 1944 the Division went into action alongside the American 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions as part of Operation Market Garden, the largest airborne assault ever attempted. The objective of the 1st Airborne Division, and the soldiers billeted here at Harlaxton was the bridge at Arnhem, known to history as ‘a bridge too far’. The 1st Airborne Division was effectively destroyed as a fighting force at the Battle of Arnhem.
The Divisions’ Provost Company returned and took up residence here until late 1945. They created the Pegasus monument that commemorates the Division in what is now called the Pegasus Courtyard.
Find out more: