Harlaxton Manor to Grantham Castle

Mrs. VdE with Exterior Marbles

Violet Van der Elst on the steps from the Dutch Canal, Harlaxton Manor

Mrs. Van der Elst purchased Harlaxton Manor in 1937 for £78,000, renaming it ‘Grantham Castle’ and implementing architectural restorations and additions. She installed the permanent electricity in the manor and restored several rooms to be used for her personal collections. With the advent of World War II, Van der Elst opened the Manor’s doors to the First Airbourne Division, allowing them to train and live in various parts of the manor and grounds.

Back  Next

Advertisements