Saltby Air Field: Transport Hub
Built and used from January 1942 through 26 September 1955, Saltby Airfield (lying 6 miles South of Grantham and 1 mile East of Saltby) served both the Royal Air force and the United States Army Air force. Primarily a transport airfield for soldiers, Saltby Airfield consisted of 3 large tarmacs that allowed large transport planes to land. The airfield was used by troops from the RAF Harlaxton and Harlaxton Manor 1st Airborne Division as a transportation hub, including transports to major battles and cities for the duration of WWII.
Find out more: QR3_Saltby Airfield