The Jesuits used the Great Hall as a chapel, adding pews and an altar. In order to build the altar, the Jesuits removed the stone surrounding the south-west door. Unfortunately, this was done without official permission from English Heritage (now Historic England). The Manor was officially added to the National Heritage List for England in 1947.
See Harlaxton Manor entries on the National Heritage List here.