Harlaxton, a Holy Home: The Jesuits (1948-1965)
In 1948 year, the brothers of the Society of Jesus purchased Harlaxton Manor from Violet Van der Elst. The Jesuits planned to use the Manor as a novice centre for training “young” or new Jesuits as brothers or priests and for housing senior and retired priests. The Jesuits began building additions and renovations to help accommodate their numbers. But when student numbers dropped from 200 to 50 in a very short period of time, the novice centre was forced to close. In 1965 the Jesuits leased the Manor to Stanford University in California.