The twelve black Dinant marble colonnettes were originally part of the jube (rood) or choir screen in the Church of Sainte-Waudru at Mons. Two of the colonnettes have inscriptions on them (second from left, upper and lower). The lower inscription reads: SANGTA WALDETRUDIC ORA PRO NOBIS (Saint Waudru Pray For Us), and the upper inscription reads: TIMETE DNM (Fear Devoted to Diety and Majesty?). The original jube screen of Renaissance style was built between 1545-1549 and designed by sculptor Jacques du Broeucq (1505-1584). Its destruction took place in 1797 due to French Revolution. The colonnettes could have been acquired by Gregory Gregory on his travels or purchased through one of the London auction houses. The Jacobean-style fireplace could have be designed specifically to incorporate these colennettes.
Images © KIK-IRPA, Brussels