Marble floor


Original plan for the Great Hall marble floor

This is a surviving fragment of the marble floor design for the Great Hall. It shows the landing area outside the Drawing Room and the end wall of the Great Hall. Gregory originally called this Stag’s Hall. Further original plans of the Manor can be seen here:


Stereograph of the Great Hall, dated 1855-60

This stereograph was designed to be viewed through a stereoscopic viewer, popular in Victorian times, which has the effect of making the image appear 3D. Note the original stone doorway which was removed during Jesuit times to make way for their chapel altar. Above the doorway hangs the only known portrait of the elusive Gregory Gregory. Unfortunately we do not know where this portrait is.

QR Trail: GH1

Back Next